(Serves 2-3 adults)
I love this kebab! I hope you do too.
I’ve only made my Shawarma kebab a couple of times, so I’m likely to adapt it over time.
Not only was this lunch so quick and easy to make, it also included health-promoting fibre (wholegrain pitta, salad), unsaturated fats (avocado, rapeseed oil mayo) and plant protein (soya), along with various vitamins and minerals. The added bonus is that soya is one of the four recommended cholesterol-lowering foods – good to know if you have cholesterol issues.
Anyway, let me show you how I made it…
– Viv Era plant Shawarma kebab soya-protein pieces
– 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup to coat Shawarma soya-protein chunks
– ½ teaspoon hot chilli sauce
– ¼ red onion finely diced
– ½ cucumber cubed
– 1 handful baby/cherry tomatoes quartered
– 1 avocado cubed
– 1 little gem (or ¼ iceberg) lettuce sliced
– 1-2 dessert spoons garlic mayo (or mix 1 clove crushed garlic into standard mayo)
2-3 Wholegrain Pitta Breads
– Use whatever salad you fancy/have – bell pepper and/or celery might be tasty additions.
– To save on preparation time, chop the salad while the kebab pieces are cooking.
1. Place kebab soya pieces in a wok/pan and mix in tomato ketchup and chilli sauce (no need for oil).
2. Warm soya pieces on a low-medium heat for about 10 minutes (good time to chop your salad).
3. In a large bowl, mix all the salad ingredients (except the avocado!) with garlic mayo – just before serving, carefully mix avocado into the salad mix.
4. Toast pitta breads lightly.
5. Place a layer of kebab soya pieces into each pitta bread.
6. Pack the pittas with the salad mix (as much as you can fit in!).
That’s all – nice and easy!
1. Heart UK, Ca. 2019. Ultimate cholesterol lowering plan. Step 3: The four UCLP© foods [online]. Available from: www.heartuk.org.uk/ultimate-cholesterol-lowering-plan/uclp-step-3.
More from What’s on Watson’s Plate: